Colonial Village originated through the efforts of developer, J. Howard Mecke, Jr. in the Martin’s Dam section of UM in January of 1929. Landowners at the time consisted of Gardiner L. Warner (176 acres including Sunny Creek Farm), Frank Hughes (50 acres), Edwin Thomas (26 acres), Elvira Castle (21 acres) and Mrs. George Park (18 acres). Back in the days
On June 18, 1847, the Evening Post of NY reported on its front page: “A Subterranean Trip. Discovery of a Remarkable Cave.” A party of four entered a large cavern in the limestone quarries at Port Kennedy. They found a small aperture about 50 feet below the surface. With candles, they crawled through the narrow entrance which led to a
In the 1930s, the pools of King of Prussia’s Colonial Village Swimming Club were electrically lighted with large flood lights each night and there was ample parking for over 400 cars. All kinds of colored floats, slides, and rubber toys were furnished for young and old. A delightful beach playground had colored canvas tables and chairs, hammocks, swings, and umbrellas.
The inhabitants of Upper Merion derived quite a bit of wealth from its mines and quarries. The three large furnaces for the manufacture of iron were located at Port Kennedy and two others were on the Schuylkill below Swedesburg. The ore was obtained in the vicinity of Valley Forge, Gulf Mills, and King of Prussia, and it was estimated that