In 1713, Matts Holstein, who owned 400 acres of what is now Bridgeport, along with Lewis Walker, the first settler in the Great Valley area and neighboring Tredyffrin Township, laid out a road from Walker’s property near the intersection of present day Old Eagle School Rd. to the Swedes Ford on the Schuylkill River. Swedesford Road has grown, changed, and been absorbed by other byways (most notably 202 and Route 30) through the years. It is unimaginable today to picture these roads as they were – little more than widened dirt paths through largely unsettled wilderness depicted on this Plan of Swedesford Road approved by the Provincial Council in 1725.
(Courtesy of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.)