Interesting facts and photos about the Moore-Irwin House from the Upper Merion Township Comprehensive Parks and Recreation Master Plan, pages 83-86, published January 2016.
Moore/Irwin Open Space is a 4.8-acre wooded parcel located at 700 Moore Road just south of East 8th Avenue in Upper Merion Township.
This parcel is home to the former John and Jane Moore farm. The original farmhouse, circa 1750, and numerous, large specimen tree species remain on the site. The site was dedicated in 1985 as the Silas T. Burgess Arboretum, in honor of the arborist who cared for it. It served as a former location of the Township Parks and Recreation Department administrative offices. The building has been vacant since 1992 and has fallen into great disrepair with water damage occurring from leaking roof and major structural deficiencies. A study of the structure was conducted in 2008 to evaluate its condition and to provide an estimate for repairs. The site lies within an industrial park in King of Prussia, and no formal access into the parcel exists.
• Mature woodland – Wildlife sanctuary; potential as an executive retreat/meeting center.
• Potential to be reclaimed as an arboretum and museum in conjunction with the historical society. • Parking exists in adjacent business park.
• Serves as a riparian buffer to Trout Creek.
• Potential to connect to the 1st Avenue Linear Park just to the south of the site.
• Limited site access/entry.
• Historic structure in need of immediate, major restoration – Structurally deficient building and leaking roof.
• Infrastructure is lacking.
As our township embarks on their 2040 Comprehensive Plan, please get involved if you want to protect our remaining open spaces.